Saturday, March 31, 2012

Nepal2011: We are SO Fortunate

May 2011
We are unimaginably wealthy, compared to Nepalese standards …
Nepal is the poorest country in South Asia, and the 12th poorest country in the world
Average ANNUAL income is $450
57% of Nepalese live for under $60 per month -  30% live for under $12 per month
50% of Nepalese children under 5 years of age, are malnourished
Life expectancy for men is 63 years, and for women is 64 years.  Less in the countryside
Child mortality is the highest in Asia.  Maternal mortality is the highest in the world
Education, HealthCare and Drinking Water are NOT available to all

To travel in Nepal is to step into the bottom of the Third World

We have so much – they have so little.  
Yet it seems most countryside Nepalese are happier than we are.
Public Transportation means you walk

There are few roads.  Everything is hauled on someone’s back

Housing standards are not the same as ours
Stone buildings means every ‘brick’ is hand carved
In the countryside, there are no flush toilets
These woman in these kitchens will prepare meals for 20 guests
Nepalese People work hard
Yet Nepalese people seem genuinely happy

Sometimes we may think life is treating us badly so we feel justified to complain
But our hardships are insignificant in comparison with the life struggles of most Nepalese people. 

I found no Ostomy Supplies in Nepal
Our Nepalese guide was shocked by my Colostomy,
having never even heard about ostomies.  

It occurred to me that there are few (if any) ostomates in Nepal

People in Nepal don’t have ostomies – they just die
Considering this alternative ...
We are all so very fortunate to be alive

We should not complain. Ever.

3 comments:

  1. Paul...These pictures...those smiles....Your life...Your insight...this blog... is such a gift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paul,
    I really like your site , it is very positive and inspiring ! I hiked the Annapurnas in Nepal 2007 with my husband an I'm returning this September to hike In the Mustang area ! Looking at your pictures encourage me to continue my journey as a hiker with an illeostomy ! Sometime I was wondering if I was crazy to hike in remote area with an illeostomy but not anymore ! I really enjoy hiking and the outdoors ! Thanks !


    Namaste!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Namaste Jaya - I also wondered about hiking a remote area with a colostomy, but it was not problem. I did carry an ostomy 'daykit' and 're-usables' in my backpack (knowing i could make-do with this for the full trip if i lost everything else), plus a 30daykit in my Porter Bag, and another 30-day kit in a friend's porter bag. No problems.

    ReplyDelete