Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Nepal2011: Children in Photos


May 2011
I was told that most Nepalese people are shy and don’t want their pictures taken. I have full respect for their wishes, and never took pictures without their permission. 

Children were fun.  They would often giggle with our attempts to use our few Nepalese words.  





Somehow I was fortunate to be able to easily relate to them.  Maybe the white beard made me look like an elder, maybe small stature made me less intimidating, maybe being on my knees to show them their picture.  I am not sure why, but I was allowed to get great images, gracefully.


Often, I would photograph a child, who would then disappear, but return within minutes with brothers, sisters, and cousins.  Sometimes I would have a crowd of 10 children patiently waiting for ‘their turn’.



I had over 100 photos printed, shipped to Nepal, and delivered by our Guides.  I expect for many children, it would be their only picture.

Trekking to Everest Base Camp was on my ‘bucket list’ for decades.


Cancer & Colostomy motivated me to
Just do it !

No comments:

Post a Comment