Sunday, June 24, 2012

Colonoscopies for 100,000 Hockey Players


 CARHA Hockey delivered this message to 100,000 hockey players in Canada.
on the CARHA News Highlights, and the CARHA facebook page
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Penalties for Not Listening

Hockey player Paul Riome didn’t listen to his body or his doctor.  
Minor Penalty was undetected cancer.  
Major Penalty was a permanent colostomy.  
Riome tells of his experiences, attitude adjustments, and comeback to hockey. 


The story is about overcoming colorectal cancer 
and showing other hockey “tough-guys” the importance of prevention.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Even with daily rectal bleeding for over 2 years,  I refused all tests and examinations.

“You got Cancer ...  Life-expectancy is uncertain” Reminiscent of nasty and unexpected hockey hits, I asked myself  “what the hell was that for?”  Of course there was no answer. But I  vowed I would live & play hockey again. 

The rehab routine was similar to hockey injuries, but the outcome would be drastically different, as the surgery damages could never be restored.  With trepidation, I started Public Skating, surrounded by grandparents teaching pre-school kids to skate.

Exactly four months after surgery, I was back playing hockey.  I was amazed at how many players made a point of acknowledgement, usually with the back-handed male style
‘… Nice you’re back, looking dangerous as ever’
‘… I always hated going into the corner with you, but now I’m really afraid of the sh*t flying’
‘… I thought with your butt sewn shut, that your stride would be shorter’  

After an aggressive altercation around the net, a large and hostile defenseman pummeled me with a verbal tirade of hockey-trash-talk.  I said ‘you can’t really call me that, because I don’t even have one’.  Instantly he went silent, smiled, put his arm around my shoulder, and said in amazement “you’re the one”

Hockey team-mates were curious, so I volunteered to answer any questions they had, and show them anything they wanted to see.  They all related to the red-neck attitude that prevents us from having rectal examinations and colonoscopies, even while knowing that these procedures are effective lifesavers. 

With earlier tests and earlier detection,

I may have avoided the surgery and permanent colostomy.

Several wives (mostly with tears) told me it was my experience that convinced their husband to get a colonoscopy.

As hockey players  might say  … I paid the price, so now I can send the message


Get a Colonoscopy.  It could save your ass.  Maybe your life.




 We, the fortunate warriors and survivors, can save lives by educating others … one person at a time.  

Maybe YOU can help someone – please SHARE THIS with your friends.






CARHA Hockey is a national, not for profit, charitable sport organization who is dedicated to providing resources and benefits to the adult recreational and oldtimers hockey industry in Canada.  CARHA Hockey

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this Paul. It is really inspirational!

    ReplyDelete